E3 – Amendment 7 to Acceptable Solution E3/AS1 for Internal Moisture
Amendment 7 to the Acceptable Solution E3/AS1, for Clause E3 Internal Moisture of the New
Zealand Building Code came into force on 3 November 2021, with the previous Amendment 6
expiring on this date. Amendment 7 was effective from 5 November 2020, however, was subject to a one-year transition period.
One of the main changes is that Amendment 7 now includes the reclassification of dishwashers and washing machines as Sanitary Appliances and basins and sinks as Sanitary Fixtures. There is a requirement for ensuring flooring solutions which must now have a finish that is both impervious and easily cleaned extending at least 1.5 metres from all sanitary fixtures and appliances.
Independently Tested – Jacobsen Audacity Laminate Flooring is an E3 Alternative
Independently tested in New Zealand by SGS Industrial Certification Services, a 48-hour water
spill test showed that there was no noticeable change to the Jacobsen Audacity Laminate
Flooring and that there was no water penetration through to the flooring substrate when installed
using the following method:
- Substrate Flooring Membrane: Substrate protected by Jacobsen Silent Shield
Underlayment with an overlocking sealed joining flap.
- Jacobsen Audacity Laminate is installed on top of the Jacobsen Silent Shield by floating
- All perimeter edges and penetrations to be sealed with a MS Silicone.
- In a kitchen/scullery area the Jacobsen Silent Shield provides a sufficient barrier against
moisture penetration to the substrate.
- In a multilevel residential building, a substrate membrane such as Uzin PE460 Epoxy
Primer applied under the Jacobsen Silent Shield should be a consideration.
- If required a suitable levelling compound will be recommended by Jacobsen and Uzin.